Neighborhood Watch is a crime prevention program that enlists the participation of neighbors in cooperation with law enforcement to reduce crime, solve problems, and prevent crimes from occurring.
What Neighborhood Watch requires is each citizen to become more aware of their own neighborhood by being alert and observant and to call the police immediately to report suspicious activity or crimes.
The Neighborhood becomes the “eyes and ears” of the police department.
WHAT ARE SOME BENEFITS OF STARTING A WATCH GROUP?
- Partnerships with law enforcement and your neighbors
- Reduction in crime
- Creates a greater sense of security and reduces fear of crime
- A more secure and better prepared neighborhood
- A more united community
- Builds bonds with neighbors, so people look out for one another
TYPICAL NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH MEETING AGENDA
- Information sharing
- Report suspicious activity
- Discuss home security
- Property engraving/protection
- Task assignment
IMPORTANT NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH PHONE NUMBERS
- Emergencies: 911
- Blair County non-emergency: 814-940-5900
- Push Out the Pusher: 814-693-3020, 866-693-3020
- Operation Our Town: 814-296-8730
- UPMC Altoona: 814-889-2011
- Blair Drug and Alcohol Partnerships: 814-381-0921
BLAIR COUNTY NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH PARTNERS
- Operation Our Town
- Blair County Sheriff’s Office
- PA Attorney General’s Office
- Blair County District Attorney’s Office
- Local Police Departments
You can help take back our neighborhoods by volunteering or financially supporting the work of Operation Our Town.